It’s the most wonderful time of the year. Halls are decked, bells are jingling and Santa will soon be on his way. But, unfortunately, Christmas-time marks an increase in accidents and crime. Follow these helpful tips to ensure you have a calamity and crime-free Christmas!
Don’t let burglars rock around your Christmas tree...
- Nice presents!! But placing presents under the tree in plain view from the window will only draw the attention of potential burglars. Keep presents away from public view as much as you can.
- Large and expensive new items usually come in large cardboard boxes. These boxes are another hint that you have valuables if left in your front yard. It's best to break down the boxes and take them to the tip.
- If you’re going away, make sure you get a family member or trusted neighbour to keep your home looking ‘lived in’. They can do this by moving the bins in and out, collecting mail, opening and closing curtains and turning lights on and off.
- Get together with your neighbours and start up a private group in Trygve to keep up to date on each other’s properties and the neighbourhood in general. Be your own local security service!
Make sure it’s only chestnuts that roast on an open fire...
- Check that your Christmas tree lights carry the British Safety Standard sign.
- Inspect last year’s holiday lights and discard any with frayed cords, cracked lamp holders, or loose connections.
- Never place candles too close to your Christmas tree or near your furniture. Do not leave candles burning unattended.
- Do not overload electrical sockets.
- Be sure to switch Christmas lights off and unplug them before you go to bed each night.
- Have you tested your smoke alarm recently? Now is a great time to do so :)
Here’s an interesting fact…
Did you know that 1 in 10 people burn themselves while setting fire to Christmas pudding?! Try not to be one of the unlucky ones this year.
But, above everything, have the most glorious Christmas with your friends and loved ones. And thank you for being part of the Trygve community!
~ Team Trygve